December 2017 my brother and his wife and kids gave me an unusual gift for Christmas, a puzzle game celebrating The Beatles’ music The White Album.
It is unusual mainly for the fact that the cover of The White Album is entirely the color white, which makes the puzzle something I’d never seen before, an exercise in assembling puzzle pieces all the color white. It is as if the wrong end of a game of chess game came down on you.
September 24, 2018, the Stereogum music history website posted to Facebook about the fiftieth-anniversary release of The White Album. Stereogum has a Facebook page I like. The Beatles Announce 50th Anniversary “White Album” Reissue With Previously Unreleased Tracks
I thought of photographing my brother’s family’s Christmas gift for this post.
I think of The Beatles being a radical success in music history, given the enormity of their popularity, even decades later.
However, how does that view of The Beatles relate to contemporary ideas about success, and how it is won?
I have ten reasons I’m suggesting that success like what The Beatles enjoyed is actually a weak link in terms of what it means for the individual to pursue preconceived notions of success and how it is misleading. The second five are presented here.
About streaming services
1. Netflix is the leader of the pack, I believer, for competitive video streaming. They have an enormous budget for original content and their selection of existing content is good as well.
There is some question about what the future holds for Netflix. Disney is entering the streaming video service market soon, as is AT&T, I understand. Netflix in my region is compatible with my Tivo, as is another video streaming service, the free video streaming website Tubi. The selection on Tubi is quite big, but they don’t offer original video at all.
Both Netflix and Tubi are compatible with my Tivo, but the selection of videos on Netflix is good and for Tubi, not so much. I want to step out of that chain of logic to ask if that implies that Tubi is a weak link. Netflix is a completely enjoyable experience if you watch video and Tubi is an extra addition to the Tivo I watch TV with.
It isn’t too hard to say which could be better assessed to be a radical success in the future. That being said, while Netflix needs to make a lot of important decisions before the day is done to remain ahead of the curve, Tubi is probably under far less pressure.
Does Tubi’s relative weak link status mean that it isn’t a success? It is free to use.
2. The contender that could grab much of Netflix’ market share is Disney. Disney is certain, given its weight as an entertainment brand, to include a wealth of great films and shows as a streaming service, where before it was known for its films, television, toys and theme parks.
Which of the two, Netflix or Disney, will be more of the radical success–that a good streaming service can be? Or will they both amount to great success? Disney has built in family-appeal given how many of its products appeal to both adults and kids alike.
Netflix has been building that kind of appeal from scratch. Will either Netflix or Disney be a weak link? It seems important to me that entertainment better be good when it is accessed or experienced.
It would be a shame, I think, for the bottom to fall out of Netflix if it were to become a weak link given new competition from Disney and others. Netflix has a reputation for spending extravagant amounts of money on new shows and films while not necessarily having a concrete plan in place to recoup its expenditures. As I said, Disney already has an enormous built-in capacity for success in the future, with plans for its new streaming service underway
.I would ask if streaming video is right for Disney, given all they’ve done to pack movie houses with so many great family films in their history. I would be dismayed if Disney proved to be a weak link. Will Netflix Ever Actually Make Any Money?
3. I started this post by saying there is a fiftieth-anniversary release of The White Album coming 11/9. From what I understand about music streaming services, Spotify has a great conversion rate converting customers from free use of their music to the paid premium version. I would ask if taken to task whether Spotify will be a “weak link.” From what I can tell, the selection of music available with Spotify is wonderful. I’ve never actually searched for The Beatles with Spotify, but I am sure they are there.
The selection really is good. I have fewer specifics on hand, but I wouldn’t appreciate seeing Spotify become relegated to “weak link” status, as it really seems to be an awesome service.
4. This may seem to be an unusual inclusion, but it isn’t, really. If you are following this argument, you can guess that the weak link I’m referring to is the President of the United States. I don’t like to posit criticism of the United States or its politics, but an example of someone about who there is much to decry that could be labeled a weak link is certainly the President.
As he is someone who was a reality TV star, I think it is worth mentioning here the radical success that he known for enjoying and how at the same time the President has so many mounting problems that he is both a radical success, being greatly wealthy and personally commanding so much power, but also a “weak link” in that he could bring down the whole show if he is not effective. President Trump has a knack for appearing with ferocious emphasis again and again in the news, and yet he faces so much extreme criticism and the possibility of real-life repercussions and consequences that I think he makes a great example of a “weak link” who is similarly a radical success.
The President brings to mind so many components and elements of radical success gone wrong that it is becoming clearer all the time that the President of the United States is an extremely divisive man. Donald Trump Says China Remix
5. The final reason I want to assert that a weak link can be very much undermining is the idea that if you begin to succeed as an entrepreneur you can find yourself under more pressure than you ever anticipated facing. Making money is many people’s idea of success, but you have to put in years of work to make your dreams come true. And in this scenario, ironically, you yourself could be the weakest link if you don’t meet obstacles well.
Unless you keep improving, day in and day out, you could end up being the weak link in your organization simply owing to the fact that your luck could change. If you have found a strategy that makes you King Midas, turning everything you touch to gold, if all of a sudden you let the reins of your mount go slack and your luck changes, you may now be suddenly in a seat of the weakness. The Secret to Self-Motivation | Gary Vaynerchuk’s GREATEST Motivational Speech Ever!
You need to keep improving and being good in order to keep that train running. Everything that took you somewhere is behind you; you have to continue to make great decisions. I suspect you’ll see for yourself if you falter.
I was amused by the Christmas gift last year of The White Album puzzle game I got from my brother and his family. If you have read this, please feel free to “like,” “follow,” and/or comment.